Sunflowers Beneath the Snow Book Club Questions
- A couple of themes of this book are strength and perseverance. What characteristics did you admire in each character?
- This book centers on three women, but the men play significant roles as well. Describe your impressions of the men (Lyaksandro and Danya) and the impact they had on the lives of the three women.
- The relationship between Ionna and Ivanna (Babuysa) was profound. Share any multigenerational relationships that provided a similar “give-and-take.”
- Educational accomplishments, hard work, and a bit of luck … How do these things play a part in the lives of the women in this book?
- Share your thoughts on how the names matched or did not match the personalities and lives of the characters. What are the traditions of your families in selecting names for children?
- “Baby Blues” or Post-Partum Depression is real. Talk about how Yevt, Danya, and Katrina managed through this difficult time and describe similarities or differences to other experiences you know.
- Describe how discrimination impacted Ivana, Yevt, and Ionna.
- How did the emotions of the characters impact your feelings about their stories?
- Describe the similarities and differences of your communities to Brighton Beach.
- How did the title “Sunflowers Beneath the Snow” relate to the story?
- What new perspective do you have from reading this book? What have you learned (history, culture, other)?
- Which parts of the book stood out to you? Were there any quotes, passages, or scenes that you found compelling? Were there parts of the book that were incredibly unique or thought provoking?
- This book was published in January, 2022, just before Russia invaded Ukraine. Do you feel the timing of this book helped or hindered its launch, particularly in terms of the various reading audiences?